Weekly Link RoundupOctober 21, 2016
|Club Monaco Colby Scalloped Dress|
2. 2016 Finalists of the Comedy Wildlife Photography Awards
3. NASA Changed All the Astrological Signs And I’m a Crab Now via Ars Technica
3-1/3. No, NASA Did Not Just Change Your Zodiac Sign via Gizmodo
3-2/3. NASA Has No Time for Your Astrology Nonsense via Time Magazine
4. How Did Walmart Get Cleaner Stores and Higher Sales? It Paid Its People More via the New York Times
5. Take 20% off all full-priced items at Anthropologie with code ADAY. The Isabel Oversized Poncho that I own and love is still available in both colors. Other picks: Ezra Ruffle Pullover, Morley Mini Skirt, and Laced Artifact Midi Skirt (ordered!).
6. Millennials' Hatred of '"Dealing With People" Is a Major Threat to Fast Food Workers via Business Insider (yes, people are the worst.)
7. Can a Millennial Mayor Save One of the World’s Most Violent Cities? via the Guardian
8. Bernstein Questions Foundation of Finance. Again via FT Alphaville
9. Pedals the Walking Bear Is Dead, New Jersey Officials Believe via the New York Times (RIP, Pedals. Go with Harambe.)
10. (On the heel of Marcus's launch, one of my favorite RS pieces from 2010) The Great American Bubble Machine via Rolling Stone Magazine
11. Until next Wednesday, use code SHOPMORE at J. Crew and take 30% off when you spend $200+ (or 25% off on $125+). I am really loving all of the November arrivals, like the Double-breasted Coat in Oxford Check, Hooded Toggle Coat in Plaid, and Multistripe Sweater. Some of my favorite coats are also included: Chateua Parka (reviewed here), Double-cloth Lady Day Coat (reviewed here), Nordic Parka (reviewed here), Toggle Cape (reviewed here), and (the new old) Majesty Peacoat (reviewed here).
12. 24 Fucked-Up Game Glitches That Will Make You Laugh Harder Than You Should via Buzzfeed
13. Why the U.S. Military Still Flies Cold-War Era Planes via the Atlantic
14. The Fix: A Beginner's Guide to Decorating Your Home via the New York Times
15. Meet Kathryn Sargent, the First Woman to Set Up Shop on Savile Row via New Statesman Magazine
16. And one last reminder to shop the Saks Fifth Avenue (max spend: $700 gift card on $3000 purchase; offer works on all non-preorder styles) and Bergdorf Goodman (max spend: $1000 gift card on $5000 purchase with code OCTGC; an eligible item will have this message, "earn up to a $1,000 BG Gift Card with your regular-priced purchase," in green on its product page) gift card events. Neiman Marcus's gift card event ended, but its new promotion is also attractive: from a select group of products, get 30% off 3+ items, 25% off 2 items, or 20% off one item.
17. Tim Kaine's Radical Optimism via the New Yorker
18. Can Science Make People Save Money? via Bloomberg
19. American Tourists in Iceland Will Outnumber Iceland's Population This Year via Vox
20. Take 50% off almost everything at Ann Taylor with code OCTOBER50 until Sunday night. My picks: Cropped Jacket (ordered!), Aisling Suede Stone Pumps, Jungle Cat Flare Dress (skirt in the same print), Cashmere Foldover Dress, Cashmere Turtleneck Tunic Sweater, and Button Front A-Line Skirt.
21. (Video Link) Tinder Has Changed Dating But It Won't Change Love via the Atlantic
22. (Video Link) Vet Ranch: Husky, Ugly to Beautiful via Youtube
23. Halloween Treat: a Night at Dracula's Castle in Transylvania via the Associated Press
24. Luxury Isn't Having a Very Good Year via the New York Times
25. Recently ordered: Free People Kolby Brushed Scarf (a softer, fluffier alternative to the Acne Canada Scarf that was reviewed here), Dior Capture Totale Dreamskin Perfect Skin Cushion, Flirt Around the Issue Pencil Skirt and River Island Navy Belted Pencil Skirt.
Have a great weekend, all!