Weekly Link RoundupJuly 19, 2016
1.5. The image above was edited using Prisma (free to download, for now; available on iOS and in beta on Android), the newest app on my phone. Photo-editing apps are a dime a dozen, but Prisma is easily one of the best that I've used. Developed by a Moscow-based group, Prisma uses fashionable technology (AI! neural network!!) to edit the photos. Since the actual photo-processing is done on Russian servers, I personally experience a longer-than-expected wait for the result (like 5-10 seconds per filter, which feels like an eternity in today's zero-delay world). (The filter used above is "Udnie," named after Francis Picabia's 1913 oil painting.)
2. For those who signed up to become a Nordstrom Rewards member (post here), your $10 promotional certificate should have arrived today (or will arrive in the next day or so). It can be used at checkout like a gift card. You do not have to use the certificate on anniversary sale items.
2.5. If the styles you like from the anniversary sale are currently sold out, don't sweat. Several Nordstrom SAs have assured me that the bulk of the inventory is being saved for the sale launch date (07/22). Some picks: Adidas Superstar Sneaker, Topshop Wrap Bodysuit, Tory Burch Ashlynn Riding Boot, Nike Tennis Classic Sneaker, Adidas Stan Smith Sneaker, and Burberry Leightonbury Quilted Hooded Jacket.
3. Barbie’s Got a New Body – and Now Mattel Is Tackling Her Other Big Image Problem via the Washington Post
4. Saks is running a gift card event; use code JULY16 (for SaksFirst members, use code SFJULY16) at checkout to apply the promotion.
4.5. Additionally, Saks' designer sale is now up to 75% off. More popular styles have sold out at this point, but pop backs are frequent.
5. In Between Plus Size and Sample Size, There Are Millions of Women via Racked
6. Soaring Temperatures Will Make It Too Hot to Work, UN Warns via Bloomberg
7. Cleveland Invents a New Bagel, Hits New York With Schmear Campaign via the Wall Street Journal
8. Take 20% off "getaway gear" at ASOS; prices as marked, no code needed. My picks: ASOS Dress with Pleat Bust And Lace Skirt, Floral Romper, Festival Romper in Ditsy Floral, Wrap Front Romper, Off Shoulder Dress in Stripe, Lace Cut Embellished Mini Dress, and Lace Collar Geo Lattice Midi Dress.
9. Crisis and Opportunity: How One VR Startup Is Capturing the 360-Degree Reality of the World's Most Vulnerable People via Wired
10. It’s Not a Housing Bubble, It’s Just Expensive via Bloomberg
11. Donald Trump's Ghostwriter Tells All via the New Yorker
12. J. Crew's final sale is still going strong. Discounted sales are an extra 40% or 60% off with code SUMMER. My picks: Gemma Flats, Ornate Lace Midi Skirt, Esparilles with Ankle Wrap, and Silk Smocked-Waist Dress.
12.5. The Long-sleeve Multicolored Tweed Dress with Fringe in Navy Multi Tweed that I reviewed here is restocked in a number of sizes. I know it's hard to think rationally in 100-degree heat, but you will like this dress when the temperature drops in a few weeks. Note that the torso runs small and order accordingly. J. Crew will accommodate requests to return final sale styles if you chat with or call them immediately after you check out to ask that a note be placed on the order.
13. What Really Happened at Politico via the Washingtonian
14. Pokémon and the Great Unknown via the Atlantic
15. Recently ordered: Steve Madden Rizzaa Ankle Strap Sandal, Simplee Apparel Off-the-Shoulder Ruffle Dress, Ann Taylor Lace Shift Dress, Calvin Klein Asymmetrical Sheath Dress, and Adrianna Papell Sequin Mesh Gown.
Enjoy the rest of your week, all!